Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chicago to Memphis

The toughest period we faced during the trip is from Chicago to Memphis. Chicago Airport was good and huge. After completing the immigration, the officer advised me to have the L1 petition all the time along with the Visa, we moved to get the boarding pass to travel to Memphis. Tejas was fully awake and was restless. Wanted to run around the airport which was not possible. Both of us were dead tired after the travel. He was so active. One gentleman offered to help us to take the luggage to the boarding point and I was happy with the kind of service I am receiving. Alas no, it was not a service, I have to pay $10 as tip for him once he got us the boarding pass. My first expense in USD!!!

Inside Chicago airport it was quiet comfortable. We saw the signs and took an elevator which is supposed to take us to the gate from where the flight is supposed to take off. I had my gerkin on me. But Priya removed hers saying it was not that cold (she didnt expect what followed). The elevator was malfunctioning and got stuck in the first floor itself. From there we climbed the stairs to go the next level. The most unfortunate thing was, we have come out of the Airport from the floor where we got stuck to go ahead. When we came out it was so windy. Priya couldnt handle it and immediately wore her jerkin saying that she never expected the weather to be like this. It was pretty chill. We have to cross the road to get into the airport again and took a different elevator to go the gate. Just before the gate there was a huuuuggggeeee queue for security check. It was that huge that we spent almost 40 to 50 mins there and the time for the flight to memphis is nearing. Atlast once the security check is over (They even checked the empty water flask which we were carrying and the food for Tejas which was given in the flight to Frankfurt. They peeled off the label from those food products). Atlast we were ready to go to the gate. But unfortunately the gate was situated at the end. We have to walk all the way down there. When we reached there we found a crowded place as four flights were scheduled to leave from that gate and three were delayed (Sounds similar to India right!!!). Ours was one of the flight that got delayed.

Priya was having a headache and I wanted to have a coffee. So I went to a coffee bar and got two cups of coffees (I asked for medium sized ones thinking it will be similar to what we get in India, but they gave me two large cups. I was thinking what would be size of the cup if I would have ordered a large or even bigger Grande). Chicago airport had a free wifi, and from my sony mobile, sent a mail. Even after we emptied our cup we didnt get the call to board the flight. Tejas was getting more and more restless and managing him was a huge task. Among the two of us only I was able to carry him and stroll around as Priya was down with a head ache. Atlast when the call to board the flight came we were relieved and immediately went to board the flight. It was a small one. But the seats were comfortable after all the journey is only less than an hour. During the journey Tejas slept. Atlast we reached our destination Memphis.

No comments:

Post a Comment